Thursday, July 8, 2010

Abandoned but not forgotten

I know its been a LONG time since I've updated this. And I promise, its not because I have not been doing things, but instead because I have been doing A LOT. However, there are only so many interesting blog posts that could read "I went to the library and studied today" before it gets old. And by that I mean, none, because that is boring. But did I learn a lot (I hope) and had a good first year of grad school over all, of course with some bumps along the way.

I also think it boils down to this: being a grad student is hard work. And I'm glad it is, because we wouldn't want anyone just handing out masters degrees out like candy, but its hard. And time consuming. And sometimes its hard to even think intelligently about what I might blog, when I feel like if I'm writing at all, it should be for whatever paper is looming in my near future.

Yet this summer I'm free! Well sort of. I'm not taking any classes this summer, but I am doing a 3 month long summer NODA internship. So apparently my definition of freedom is working full time in the office of Campus Life at Saint Martins University. I've been here for over a month, and I'm loving it. I'm working on orientation, and the summer advising and registration sessions start next week, so things are about to kick into high gear around here, which is exciting.

Yet in a lot of ways it seems like a vacation, a break. I'm back in Washington, where both my license plates and drivers license can rest happily without any extra scrutiny. And I'm only 30 miles away from Tacoma and UPS which makes me really happy, although my actual ties there are getting more and more tenuous. But I am happy to be back in familiar territory, close to both friends and family.

I have no guarantees about the frequency of my blog entries this summer or in the future. I sometimes am unsure exactly what it is that I am sharing of value. At the very least though, I have a number of plays lined up to see, so I might be knocking out my thoughts about those.

1 comment:

The MoM said...

Well, well, well... you didn't even mention that you had a new blog post. I actually went to see if you had anything about the play you went to recently. (That is as strong a hint and I am going to give.) I love your blog posts about theater.